steam locomotive 44 594
Steam loco 44 594 was delivered to the German State Railway in August 1941. She belongs to a class of heavy freight locomotives designed with three cylinders and capable of putting out more than 2,000 HP. After WWII, many of these locos remained in the GDR, while many more in West Germany were taken into German Federal Railway's stock. Our example spent most of her service working from Dillenburg, Giessen and Betzdorf, while for the last few months of her active service in 1975, she was transferred to Gelsenkirchen.
Instead of being cut up following her withdrawal, she was towed to Hamburg
together with a number of her sisters to be used in load-testing the newly-built S