steam locomotive 50 3700-7
|Builder:||Krupp in Essen|
Steam loco 50 3700 was acquired in 2013 by active members of the sociaety Historischen Lokschuppen Wittenberge. She was built in 1939 by Krupp in Essen as 50 217, one of the earlier members of the class. After the end of WWII, she remained in the GDR and worked passenger and freight trains. She was allocated to Halberstadt for decades, being withdrawn from service there in 1989.
Since there was a major shortage of large heating plants in the GDR, she was then downgraded to a stationary boiler at the end of 1989, and the boiler was refurbished in the repair workshops (RAW) in Meiningen for this purpose, the work completed in 1990. However, the fall of the wall in October 1990, and with that, improved availability of heating plant meant that stationary boilers were no longer required. The loco was indeed brought to Salzwedel for her planned service as such, but she was only fired up for test purposes.
In 1992 she was sold to a new owner in Güsten, and was to spend many years standing in the open at the Stassfurt railway museum. In 2014, she was finally moved from there to Wittenberge.
The locomotive is currently being visually restored and gradually completed. Unfortunately, a number of parts are still missing and it is anticipated that the acquisition or remanufacturing of these parts will take a considerable time, not to mention a significant amount of money.